Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Student Visas

Are You a Returning F, M, OR J Visa Holder?

If you are currently on a F, J, or M visa in the US as a student or a dependent ,  and need to renew your visa during your school’s summer break, please use our “CITIC BANK FREQUENT TRAVELER” service.  For the majority of applicants renewing their US non-immigrant visas, they will not need to make an appearance at the US Consulate in Shanghai for an interview, and should receive their new valid visa in less than a week.  Some applicants may need to come to the consulate for a quick fingerscan or interview, but this will be arranged automatically at CITIC Bank when you submit your application.  If you meet the following requirements, do not make a visa interview appointment with our call center, as you are eligible for this special service.  Please understand that if you make an appointment for an interview through our call center and are otherwise eligible for this service, on the day of your interview you will be directed to the nearest authorized CITIC Bank location to submit your application.

You are eligible for this service if you meet all these requirements:

  • My current F, M, or J visa is still valid, OR my F, M, or J visa expired within the last 12 months.  If the words “CLEARANCE RECEIVED” appear on your previous visa, please click here for more information.
  • I need to obtain a new non-immigrant visa in the same visa category as my previous nonimmigrant visa (Examples:  If your previous visa was an F1 visa, and you would like to obtain a new F1 visa, or if you currently are a dependent, you have/had  a J2  visa and are applying for a renewal of your J2).
  • I am an F or M non-immigrant visa holder, and I will return to the same school that is currently listed on my visa, OR I have a J non-immigrant visa and will return to the same exchange visitor program number as my previous visa.
  •  My current passport will be valid for at least 6 months after my planned arrival in the United States.
  • My previous US non-immigrant visa was issued at the US Consulate in Shanghai.

If you meet all the qualifications above, please submit the following documents when you return to China at your nearest CITIC Bank Frequent Traveler Acceptance location (

  • A passport valid for at least 6 months after your anticipated arrival in the US.  If you have a newly issued passport, please submit your canceled passport and/or a copy of your most recent visa.
  • Completed and signed non-immigrant visa application forms.  Specific information about all application forms can be found by downloading a PDF of our informative visa application step-by-step instructions.
  • DS-156 “Non-Immigrant Visa Application Form” that meets the application standards outlined in our STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS.  This includes a recent 50mm x 50mm (2” x 2”) photo taken within the last 6 months ( 
  • DS-157 “Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application”
  • DS-158 “Contact Information and Work History for Nonimmigrant visa applicant”
  • Your signed, valid “I-20 / Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant  Student Status” OR your signed, valid “DS-2019 / Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status”.
  • A recent official transcript.
  • If you are dependent of an F1, M1, or J1, and need to renew your F2, M2, or J2, you are also eligible to use this service if you meet the eligibility requirements and are applying for a renewal of a F2, M2, or J2 non-immigrant visa.  Please provide a copy of the previous visa of the F1, M1, or J1 student with your application.  However, if you are a F2, M2, or J2, and would like to apply for a F1, M1, or J1 visa, you will need to make an appointment and you are not eligible to use this service. 
  • If you are a returning graduate student, please also include a copy of your Curriculum Vitae (CV), research plan, and advisor’s web page.

You will need to pay for a new “Machine Readable Visa” fee of the current RMB equivalent of $131.00 USD, and an additional, 200RMB for this service offered by CITIC Bank (Some authorized CITIC Bank locations may charge slightly more).

Once submitted to CITIC Bank, you will complete a China Post Mailing Label for return of your submitted materials.  All applicants using CITIC Bank will receive their materials from our China Post “COD” service.  All additional application materials submitted through this service will be returned with your passport. 

Please note:  In some cases, you may be contacted by our office to come to the Consulate for a personal interview.

If your previous visa contains the words “CLEARANCE RECEIVED” and you meet all the qualifications outlined above, CITIC Bank will arrange a convenient time for your appearance at the US Consulate for a brief interview.  You will also need to provide additional documents.  For more information and a list of necessary documents, please see the following page (